Wednesday, August 17, 2005

LAST DAYS III. Section B: Scenes from An Italian Restaurant On Fire

nothing is certain in this world and you can’t count on anything, not even your worst instincts, or someone else’s.

TXT MSG: I’m sorry to trouble you, but I’m in a restaurant and on TV there is a hot dog eating contest and I can’t stop watching it.

You do not mention that you are drunk.

TXT MSG: Now I can’t sleep. Did I mention the hot dogs? The whole world is a hot dog, immodestly eaten by conscienceless men and women with no conscience, but condiments in some sort of contest -but to what purpose?

In Advance of the Eating Contest
“I make an empty place inside myself. It never fills.”
“When my jaw moves, I am moving. I do not think of the mouth, only the jaw.”
“It is like swimming. I am a shark.”
“Somewhere inside me, I feel a great and steady joy.”

I ask a waiter,“Should they even be showing this?”
He turns to the rest of the restaurant, “Everyone -enjoy!”
And he’s a card, he is, he’s a golden boy and belongs in movies or TV or something and who knows if he came here for that (probably) or it just got bred into people here (possibly)

So no one ever really figures it all out, but eventually you start writing just as you started talking and people go along with it and some people (like me) just throw back all the trite observations everybody else has and these go down easy because everyone knows them already and this respect, it’s not that different from music.

So I guess you went to sleep, which is good for you, because who can resist talking about hot dogs?

Happiness: white faces eating french fries.

Somewhere, someone is always having a good time, because they could never keep us from having a good time, talking, chatting, eating food.
Pickles and beer are a great combination.

No comments: