Wednesday, August 17, 2005

LAST DAYS III. Section D: The Fiend

“I haven’t slept for weeks and weeks so everything is really dreamy. I’m enjoying it. “
“Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I’m fine”
“If you die while I’m talking to you on the phone, I just want you to know that I respect you for who you are.”
“That’s it? That’s my epitaph? That’s terrible. “I respect you for being you’ What is this crap?”
“I’m just reading what’s on the card”
“So you have to prepare this lame stuff in advance”
“No, no, I’m just reading the card some guy is holding. I don’t know him, really.”

“Do you think that whoever wrote this ever got over how good it was, ever said ‘Wow, I did that’”
“I think Beethoven did. Issac Hayes, too, probably

“So when you first meet a person, you want that person to like you. I like you. I’m completely sold on liking you. How is the liking me thing coming along?”

“Look, I don’t want to scare you or anything, but I am having a total and complete nervous breakdown. No, no that’s not it that’s not the word. Mental. A total and complete mental breakdown. No, don’t be alarmed, it’s happened before. Don’t stop eating. But listen: part of this total and complete mental breakdown is that I am totally and completely in love with you. -Or, it may be unrelated, I don’t know. I haven’t really been able to sleep much this past few weeks, but when I woke up this morning on the bus I realized we were in love. I could really use a cup of coffee right now. No, don’t bother our waitress -it might just be easier if I just grabbed this cup of that other table -no, no it’s okay I’m sure there gone -ew this person likes sugar, what I’m saying is not let’s run away together but could we run away together? What’s that? Well, I guess they weren’t done, but who cares, who cares really when we’re in love. That mental breakdown stuff -that’s technical -let’s not worry about that. Let me hold your hand -no, the other hand. You look worried. What are you worried about?”

No comments: